This Japanese Katsu Pork with Wasabi Lime Aioli is Gluten-Free Thanks to a Cauliflower Crust
JANUARY 16, 2021 – 8:19 AM – 0 COMMENTS8
(Chef Kristen Thibeault)
Winter makes me wants crispy, crunchy food all the time. Nothing says comfort like chicken tenders, spinach artichoke dip with a cheesy crumbly top, or Tonkatsu (fried Japanese pork cutlets), but then there those carbs to take into account. Crispy and healthy doesn’t always fall under the same sentence.
Related: Best Ground Pork Recipes
This Japanese Katsu Pork with Wasabi Lime Aioli is the exception to the rule, however. Breaded with Cauli Crunch—bread-free bread crumbs made from all-natural cauliflower—it has still has that crunchy coating, just minus the gluten, fat and calories.
Japanese Katsu Pork with Wasabi Lime Aioli
By CHEF KRISTEN THIBEAULT
5.0 from 1 Votes
- ACTIVE TIME30 min.
- TOTAL TIME1 hr. 30 min.
- 1 lb Boneless pork loin
- ½ cup miran
- ½ cup rice vinegar
- 2 Tbsp salt
- 2 eggs, beaten to blend
- 1 cup cornstarch or arrowroot starch
- 1 cup 7 Spice Cauli Crunch
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Avocado oil spray
- 1 lime, zest and juice
- 2 Tbsp wasabi paste
- 1 cup mayo
- Trim and excess fat from pork cutlets. Pound pork to an even thickness between pieces of plastic wrap.
- Brine pork in miran, rice vinegar and salt for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 300 F. (Cauli Crunch breading browns faster than normal breading so we reduce the temperature and increase the cook time.)
- Make Wasabi Lime Mayo: Combine vegan mayo, wasabi paste, lime zest, lime juice, salt and black sesame seeds.
- Set up a breading station. In 3 separate shallow bowls set-up seasoned cornstarch, egg wash and Cauli Crunch.
- Remove the pieces from the brine, dredging each piece in cornstarch, then egg wash and finally breading and pressing down for a thorough coating on all sides.
- Place coated pieces on a greased cookie sheet.
- Lightly spray or brush the top of each piece with avocado spray so that the breading is slightly moist.
- Bake 50-65 minutes until crispy or internal temperature reaches 170 degrees or in air fryer set to 290 F for 14-16 minutes.
- Finish with a squeeze of lime and serve immediately with Wasabi Lime Aioli.
Original, Taste of Italy, and 7 Spice Cauli Crunch here, or in Whole Foods.
original post: read original post here